Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Homemade Rasam Powder

We r Rasam family!! everyone at home love rasam , store bought rasam powder wont stay for a while for us..i usually prepare rasam powder once a month n they will finish quite within a month too..i follow each n every steps to prepare this powder as my mom used to do..this is my mother's version of rasam powder, mostly peoples used to prepare rasam powder dals n spices but my mom used to add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves to give a fantastic aroma to this powder n we follow this method since a long...This homemade rasam powder goes to Colors of Taste Powders event by Smitha of Kadumanga..


1+1/2cup Coriander seeds
1/2cup Black peppercorns
1/2cup Cumin seeds
1tbsp Toor dhal
1tbsp Channa dhal
1/4tsp Fenugreek seeds
5nos Dry Red chillies
3sprigs Curryleaves
1tsp Turmeric powder

Dry roast one by one everything without oil in simmer except the turmeric powder..let them cool n grind as bit coarse powder with turmeric powder...conserve them in air tightened bottle..serve them as per ur need..
1/2tsp of this rasam powder is largely enough to prepare a bowl of rasam...

17 comments:

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

thanks priya for this..am a rasam lover too.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

hummmm i can feel that nice aroma only thing i dont add fenugreek seeds perfect entry priya

Vijitha said... Reply To This Comment

Nice post!
Actually I make a coarse powder instead of fine one. Do have a look at that http://spicesnaroma.blogspot.com/2008/11/pineapple-rasam.html

Raks said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks so much for the recipe Priya! I always wanted this one:)

lubnakarim06 said... Reply To This Comment

Rasam family :-(.... Love this spicy and full of flavour powder.

FH said... Reply To This Comment

YUM! I love MTR Rasam powder, so I make sambhar powder at home instead of rasam. Looks great, nothing like homemade powder and the aroma of spices! :))

AnuSriram said... Reply To This Comment

Rasam is always comforting! Making rasam powder at home is a nice idea! Thanks for the recipe! Will make it your way.. for a yummy rasam.

Cham said... Reply To This Comment

I make pretty much the same way except chana, I never bought powder outside! Looks aromatic!

Varsha Vipins said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks a ton..Am a rasam lover to the core..!!!:)

CurryLeaf said... Reply To This Comment

Warm rasam in winter as a soup or poured over hot white rice.yum

KonkaniBlogger said... Reply To This Comment

Nice one Priya..Theres a special something about home-made powders..

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
அகம்பிரம்மாஸ்மி said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks priya for the home based rasam poweder

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Hi Priya,

I have a doubt whether 1/2tsp Cumin seeds is enough or need more. Awaiting ur valuable reply.

Sarah/Homestyle Cooking Around The World said... Reply To This Comment

thanks for this homemade recipe- was just introduced to rasam from a store-bought mix and would like to tweak it and make my own. this will give me something to try! I'm looking forward to checking out more of your recipes. Feel free to check out my twist on rasam/rice. homestyleworldcook@blogspot.com

momsnetwork said... Reply To This Comment

wow...in our home the must for lunch is rasam ..sounds different..will try tomorrow..thnx for sharing
_____________________________
Good Gynecologist in Chennai

maidofadyar said... Reply To This Comment

Priya this is the rasam powder that I have been looking for a very long time! It is awesome. I just made it and ran out to my husband after tasting it, too joyful.

Bless, your mother, bless you for posting it as it is a godsend. I cannot live well without rasam and as I make my own powders now this can be had more often. Thank you again.