Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Peppercorns N Ginger Surasam - Prefect for Sore Throat

Surasam is a tamil word for herbal juices that are heated and taken orally,these heated herbal juices r quite used in rural villages, as grandma's medicines, may aged people in villages know loads of handy medicines that helps prefectly while they r suffering from cold and fever etc...one of the medical juice is made usually at my home by my mom is peppercorns n ginger surasam..this is a prefect remedy for sore throat, also prefect for cold.. This herbal juices r prepared usually with mud pots in olden days, with loads of medical values...Original herbal juices r prepared with palm sugar, but i have replaced granulated sugar as am out of stock..This is my entry to Think Spice..Think Pepper guest hosted by Divya of Dilse, event started by Sunita..can have this surasam instead of coffee n tea, also add few drops of lemon juice too....Am sending this surasam to Trupti's Comfort Food For illness and to Sadhana & Muskaan's Home Remedies Event....



1Tbsp Black Peppercorns
2tbsp Sugar
2tbsp Crushed ginger piece

Dry roast the black peppercorns in a vessel, until the smokes come out, put the flame in simmer..now add the sugar n caramelize the sugar, be careful coz the peppercorns may splutter (this happened to me)..add the enough water and crushed ginger pieces n bring them boil, let them boil in simmer flame for few minutes.. put off the stove n strain the juice with a strainer...

Serve hot!!!

23 comments:

Finla said... Reply To This Comment

Even my mom used to make this for us saying it was really healthy.

sahiti said... Reply To This Comment

Does it work if we crush the peppercorns to avoid spluttering?

Kitchen Chronicles said... Reply To This Comment

it has a good medicinal value.

And for the Avacado soup why don't you send it to SWC : soup hosted by Neha of Tasty Recipes. It is getting over by 8th March.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

yes perfect for sour throat nice entry priya

Priya Suresh said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks friends...

Sahiti, yep crushed peppercorns works out wonder too..

Lakshmi thanks dear, will send to Neha's event..

FH said... Reply To This Comment

Thank you! Trisha has severe Throat ache, I think I am getting it too. I will make this for her today! :))

Chutneytales said... Reply To This Comment

Wonderful remedy for sore throat..I will keep this in mind..Thanks for posting :)

AnuSriram said... Reply To This Comment

Its indeed a wonderful remedy for cold, cough and sore throat! Looks lovely!

Ashwini said... Reply To This Comment

My MIL makes this..Too good for soar throat, healthy too..

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Really healthy and of great medicinal value. Thanks for sending it for think Pepper event Priya.

Sunshinemom said... Reply To This Comment

What a nice recipe. I haven't heard of this - thanks!

Beyond Curries said... Reply To This Comment

Yes, my grandmother also used to make it, but I didn't have the recipe. Now I know how to prepare it.

Another thing Priya, somebody is using your content. Just now I saw some links formed in my blog, they were the 3 entries you have sent for the vinegar event. Check it out.
http://photomaniacal.com/recipes/vegan-pineapple-cake

Take necessary steps.

Cham said... Reply To This Comment

I remember drinking this one when we have cold.

sathya said... Reply To This Comment

rasam looks yummy priya, a healthy one !

Mahimaa's kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

useful recipe.. will keep this in mind...

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

My Mom used to make this surasam... looks nice..

Varsha Vipins said... Reply To This Comment

Perfect for the season Priya..:)

Manju said... Reply To This Comment

this was and still is the one-stop remedy for any cold or sore throat, in my family...slowly getting my husband to get used to this :D

Yasmeen said... Reply To This Comment

I made a similar drink for my bad episode of sore throat last week,certainly very soothing:)

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

Priya this is the ting rightnow. i have been sick, & now my throat is bad to the extent that I have lost my oice completely.

Laavanya said... Reply To This Comment

I usually have sukku malli coffee when down with a cold.. this sounds great & tasty too.

Poornima Nair said... Reply To This Comment

Sore throat or not, I would love to have a glass of that drink...

jayasree said... Reply To This Comment

This is new to me. Though make a drink for sore throat with some herbs and spices. Thanks for sharing.