Friday, March 20, 2009

Ragi N Wheat Coconut Noodles/Ragi N Wheat Coconut String Hopper

Most of us would have had r tried either ragi string hoppers or wheat string hoppers, but i combined both flours to prepare this delicious, healthy dish..my mom used to make sweet version of ragi string hopper n savoury wheat string hoppers, initially i want to prepare wheat string hoppers but almost a cup of ragi flour was laying in my fridge since quite a long n i thought of mixing both the wheat n ragi flours together n finish them as savoury breakfast by adding the tempered coconut pieces as we do for coconut rice...they tastes delicious without any side dish, if u need any side dish u can have this with any sort of chutneys, y not simply with sugar, sometimes sugar suits prefectly for certain breakfast dishes, this ragi n wheat noodles suits prefectly for snacks too...


1cup Ragi Flour
1cup Wheat flour
1/4cup Rice flour
2tsbp Oil
1+1/4cup Hot water
Salt

For Tempering:
1/4tsp Mustard seeds
1/4tsp Urad al
1/4tsp Asafoetida powder
2nos Dry red chillies
1/4cup Grated fresh coconut
3nos Curry leaves
Oil

Sieve the flours together and dry roast them n keep aside, add the hot water, salt n oil to the flour n knead them as soft dough..take the muruku press, grease the pressing machine..use the small dot like nozzle to make this string hoppers...take a small quantity of the dough into the presser, press over the greased idly plates as small circles...Steam cook them for about 10 minutes...keep aside n let them cool...just separated the noodles with ur finger n make them as medium small pieces...

Heat oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds,urd dal, asafoetida powder,curry leaves n red chillies n fry them until they turns brown...add the grated coconut to the tempering n stir everything for a while,now add the cooked ragi noodles to the kadai, toss them gently for few minutes...

Serve hot with any choice of chutneys r else can have them alone!!!

26 comments:

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

I have made/eaten only rice noodles, making them with ragi-wheat is much more nutrious.
Looks delicious Priya.

Vikis Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

Ragi noodles is a nice diet recipe. I tried it with ragi alone , long back. But ur version seems lovely.
One qn: I have never made noodles with wheat. Have u tried that? If so, Is it difficult to press by hand through our murukku press?
In ur free time, pls clarify me:) Thanks.

Varsha Vipins said... Reply To This Comment

yumm..This is a pretty n nutritious choice..:)

Lavanya said... Reply To This Comment

you will make many ragi recipes..all are god n healthy ones..great idea..new to me !!

Preety said... Reply To This Comment

wow that is one nutirious bowl full of noodles..i never used ragi flour b4..i love the color too

Varsha Vipins said... Reply To This Comment

Btw,My feed not updating in reader's page,sobs..:( ,pls chck my new post n pick the award ..:)
happy weeekend dear..:)

Suparna said... Reply To This Comment

Hi,
I've had home made rice noodles (sevai) this is a healthy version :) thanks.
TC

Ashwini said... Reply To This Comment

My grandmom used to make this..It has been ages since I have eaten this..Looks yumm

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

I havent tried with Ragi/wheat yeta..looks healthy and nutritious dear

Mrs.Kannan said... Reply To This Comment

Nutricious Recipe..I have made separate versions haven't tried combining both together..Looks yum

Vibaas said... Reply To This Comment

Nice and healthy recipe Priya/

Cham said... Reply To This Comment

My mom makes only sweet with ragi sevai, savory sounds fantastic!

Anisheetu said... Reply To This Comment

Wow something diiferent.. great... collect ur awards from the award page of my blog... happy blogging..:)

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

Ragi noodles sounds so different Priya.. Again a healthy recipe from you...

Chutneytales said... Reply To This Comment

This is a healthy n new recipe,Priya.Looks so yummy :)

jayasree said... Reply To This Comment

I make ragi idiyappam and add little rice flour to it. Combining wheat is a good idea.

Vikis Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks dear for answering my query (in the post brinjal serwa) for making wheat noodles. I felt so glad, that I will share this recipe with my inlaws too , who are desperately in need of this. Thanks and hugs, vicky.

Gita Jaishankar said... Reply To This Comment

This is such a healthy breakfast, I would love to this yummy noodles as a weekend brunch :)

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

wow realy a very helthy one perfect i like raci in any shape mmmm yummy

Madhu's cooking gallery said... Reply To This Comment

Ragi and wheat sevai..really looks delicious and a healthy one too! Nice recipe!

LifenSpice said... Reply To This Comment

Hi Priya, that's a nice healthy recipe. my husband would love that

Poornima Nair said... Reply To This Comment

Using ragi is a great healthy option. Looks delicious.

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

Never heard of this before. Truly unique. Thanks for participating in JFI-Wheat & introducing us to this dish.

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

I am simply amazed with the creative aspect of bloggers like you.Wish i was half as experimental and creative as you sweeties
This sounds so nutritious and i just loved the colour of whole stuff

Nandinis food said... Reply To This Comment

It's a very healthy and nutritious recipe. I really love this dish from my childhood days. But adding wheat sounds new to me. I don't have murukku achu. In future, I want to try this recipe. Can I try this using your recipe?

Madhuram said... Reply To This Comment

I have seen this one too but have not prepared it so far. Thanks for the entry.