Friday, September 13, 2013

Kokum Kadhi

Seriously i came to know about kokum only after blogging, Kokum yields a peculiar flavour and blackish red colour. It is a preferred substitute for tamarind in curries and other dishes from the Konkan region. It is also used in cuisine from Gujarat, where it is frequently used to add flavor and tartness to dal for flavor balance. I checked twice when i went to India for this kokum in stores there,but unfortunately i couldnt able to get them. Trust me, i was eagerly waiting to taste the famous dish solkadhi or Kokum kadhi,a popular dish in Konkan region prepared with this kokum.

Solkadhi or Kokum Kadhi is a type of curry usually can have with rice or sometimes they can be drunk after meals. Its well known for its digestive properties.Kokum kadhi is simply made with coconut milk and kokum which is spiced with simple ingredients. Do you know from where i bought this kokums, i picked them in London when i went for the blogger's meet there. I was so excited to see some packets of dried kokums there and i immediately grabbed a packet. I tried this kokum kadhi few days back at home and for my surprise my H and kids loved this kadhi with rice while i had it like a juice.Since this kokum kadhi goes under the theme Regional foods with 'K', am posting this dish today for this week's blogging marathon as we are running a long blogging marathon for this whole month with alphabets and themes.


15nos Dried kokum (soaked for 30minutes in 1 cup of warm water)
1bowl Thick coconut milk
1tbsp Oil
1tsp Ginger (chopped)
1tsp Green chilli (chopped)
1tsp Garlic chopped
1/2tsp Cumin seeds
Chopped coriander leaves
Salt
1tsp Sugar

Heat oil, add the cumin seeds, fry until they turns brown.

Add now the chopped ginger, chopped garlic,chopped green chilly, fry for few minutes.

Add the sugar and salt, meanwhile strain the soaked water from the kokum.

Add this kokum water to the tempered spices, bring it to boil.

Finally add the coconut milk, bring it to boil.

Put off the flame immediately or else the coconut milk will split.

Serve warm with chopped coriander leaves.



Logo courtesy : Preeti
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32

38 comments:

meena said... Reply To This Comment

Kokum Kadhi looks yummy.
Kokum is always mistaken as gambooge.
I have seen Laxmi brand kokum in Indian stores here.

Janani said... Reply To This Comment

I love kokum too always order kokum lassi when I go to restaurant never made kadi with it though will def try it out. I love the color it's very inviting to eyes.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

wow.. looks nice.. thxs for sharing..

Nithya said... Reply To This Comment

Kokum is new to me.. Never heard it before.. You are introducing lot of recipes..Thanks akka..

Pavani said... Reply To This Comment

Lovely looking kokum kadhi. I made it a while back and remember loving it.

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said... Reply To This Comment

new to me...BTW Hw u manage home,kids,cooking??Surprising di..Y dont u manage a one more blog abt managing every thing vth ur ideas.Its very help ful every one di..Love u ;)

Bergamot said... Reply To This Comment

My favourite dish. Great with khichdi or spicy pulao. But I can just slurp it up plain. Thanks for reminding me of solkadhi.

great-secret-of-life said... Reply To This Comment

never tried this.. looks yum

Vimitha Durai said... Reply To This Comment

Wat is Kokum akka. Totally new dish to me

Sandhya Karandikar said... Reply To This Comment

A new recipe for Kokum Kadhi. The colour is just amazing.
Maharashrtians especially from Konkan region use these for tartness in their daily food.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

kokum sol kadhi looks so yummy and delicious :) and this vegan version is telling my heart to give it a try soon :)

Abhivyaktiya said... Reply To This Comment

Its my all time favorite. Your's looking too good. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Sangeetha Priya said... Reply To This Comment

First time seeing this Kokum, kadhi looks colorful n delicious sis..

CbeFoodBlogger said... Reply To This Comment

Its kodum Pulli na?? Looks so yumm

nayana said... Reply To This Comment

I love this kadhi, actually kokum is something which we use in almost every vegetable or curry dish....

radha said... Reply To This Comment

I always believe you get all Indian ingredients away from India at the Indian Stores. But walk to your local grocery in the country and you get only regional foods. I have been looking for this ingredient and not found it.
The kadhi looks lovely.

Rani acharyulu said... Reply To This Comment

I use Kokum some times in Dal preparations,but never tried in Kadhi nice,going to try this soon.Thanks for sharing.

Srivalli said... Reply To This Comment

Very regional and lovely..of all the places you finally got it in London!..:)

cookingwithsapana said... Reply To This Comment

Kokomo Kadhi sounds yummy and I like that purple color.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Kokum kadhi looks awesome and delicious.

Nammi said... Reply To This Comment

I have always heard of kokum but never cooked with it. Is it a lot like tamarind?

Happy’s Cook said... Reply To This Comment

New to me looks awesome..

Chef Mireille said... Reply To This Comment

I finally picked up kokum in an International market here a few weeks ago and I picked it up since I had seen so many recipes with it but yet to try a recipe with it,

preeti garg said... Reply To This Comment

I never tried and taste this kadhi.. but love the color which attracts me lot.

The Pumpkin Farm said... Reply To This Comment

i love kokum kadhi with fish, yours has turned out beautifully

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

New recipe to me :) looks lovely and that color is super tempting aks

Harini R said... Reply To This Comment

Sounds very flavorful! Tempting color as well!

Padmajha said... Reply To This Comment

This has been on my list,like , forever! Yes, that is a lovely color and really nice that you could find it in London!

Kalyani said... Reply To This Comment

I have so much access to kokum but never made this.. Bookmarking ur version ;)

Suma Gandlur said... Reply To This Comment

I get it here but am clueless about the usage. Love that mauve colored kadhi.

Gayathri Kumar said... Reply To This Comment

My SIL introduced me to Kokum but unfortunately I don't get it here in Madurai. The kadhi looks so appetizing...

Rajani S said... Reply To This Comment

Blogging teaches us so many things. I too came across kokum through blogging only. The kadhi looks good!

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

another new one for me!!! looks super delicious!!!

Sowmya

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Delicious kadhi.. I heard of it but never tasted it.

veena said... Reply To This Comment

Kadhi looks very good but havent used kokum as yet

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said... Reply To This Comment

Such a lovely looking kadhi! love the color :) I have never cooked with kokum before! Good recipe to give it a try.

Archana said... Reply To This Comment

Looks great and you got the bang on colour Priya!

Archana said... Reply To This Comment

Come down to Goa and I will give you Kokum Kadhi till you are fedup :)