Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Ajwain & Butternut Squash Paratha

Fall season is here, obviously summer fruits and vegetables are very rare in local farmer's market. Finally Fall season vegetables and fruits are showing their heads now. I just love fall seasonal fruits and vegetables, especially the squashes. We do get varieties of squashes and i will never fail to buy them from local farmer's market. My recent visit to farmer market pulled me to grab some seasonal vegetables. Yes i came home with some butternut squash, sweet potato and succulent juicy apples. Obviously i prepared some delightful dishes out of these fruits and vegetables. Here comes one among those dishes i have prepared with butternut squash. Butternut squash is one of my favourite squash after pumpkins. I usually prepare soups with this squash though they are seriously versatile and works awesome to make even our Indian style of curries and gravies.

Butternut Squash paratha, Squash Paratha

Butternut squash are just prefect to make some soft and catchy parathas. I used butternut squash puree to knead the paratha dough. However roasted butternut squash puree works more awesome as well. I simply pressure cooked the peeled and cubed butternut squash which i later mashed to smooth puree. And this puree gives an excellent and eye pleasing colour to the paratha and a mild sweetness as well. I couldnt stop myself adding some spice powder and ajwain seeds aka carom seeds just to bring the flavor to this simple but yet a delicious paratha. Served along with a dal, a chutney or a spicy gravy, trust me this incredible paratha makes an excellent meal to serve either as breakfast, dinner or else for a simple lunch.Am running this week's blogging marathon with Seasonal fruits and vegetables as theme. And this butternut squash paratha goes for the theme.

Butternut Squash Ajwain paratha

1cup Butternut squash (pressure cooked and pureed)
2cups Wheat flour
2tbsp All purpose flour for dusting
1/2tsp Ajwain seeds
1/2tsp Cumin seed powder
1/2tsp Garam masala
Salt
Oil for cooking

Take the wheat flour, ajwain seeds, cumin seed powder, garam masala;salt and pureed butternut squah in a large bowl.

Add gradually water if needed , knead everything as soft and stiff dough..keep aside for an hour.

Butternut Squash Roti, Carom Seeds & ButternutSquash Paratha

Make 7-8 medium sized balls from the dough.

Dust each balls with all purpose flour and roll them as round disc with rolling pin.

Heat a non stick pan and drop gently the rolled parathas, drizzle few drops of oil cook on both sides until they get cooked..

Serve hot with any side dish.

Butternut Squash Paratha, Ajwain Butternut Squash Paratha

BMLogo

12 comments:

Nalini's Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

Nice variation and paratha looks amazing.

Suma Gandlur said... Reply To This Comment

Seems like squash added a pop of color along with softness to the parathas. They look amazing and go well with a spicy curry, I guess.

Padmajha said... Reply To This Comment

I saw this pic in insta and immediately bookmarked it. Such a pleasant color. The flatbread fever hasn't subsided as yet so will be making this soon :)

Chef Mireille said... Reply To This Comment

love the gorgeous color of these paratha and the flavor must be just as awesome!!!

code2cook said... Reply To This Comment

yummy ajwain butternut squash paratha Priya. I love the way you roll paratha. so thin, soft and perfectly cooked from both sides. And I feel like grabbing them and make wraps. surely squash and ajwain give an awesome taste to paratha.

Gayathri Kumar said... Reply To This Comment

What a beautiful colour the squash has given to parathas. Love them so much. It is also a wonderful way to make kids eat squash.

Harini R said... Reply To This Comment

Wow! What a beautiful color you got for those parathas, Priya. I have butternut squash at home and I am going to try this out soon.

Srivalli said... Reply To This Comment

Fantastic option Priya, you make every theme sound so easy and simple. While I plan the theme, naturally I will think what I will cook and feel something will be tough for me. But for you, nothing is tough and that shows in this dish!

cookwithrenu said... Reply To This Comment

Wow I love to read this. Off late my DH says you make paratha of anything and I see this post of yours. Lovely colourful and healthy parathas they are.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

look at that color of the paratha priya!!! Beautiful, paratha's look soft and perfect for dabbas!!!

Ritu Tangri said... Reply To This Comment

I'm just in awe with the color of the paratha. I had made pumpkin naan with the puree just the way you have made so can very well imagine how good the taste would be.

preeti garg said... Reply To This Comment

Never use butternut squash and paratha stuffed with squash is sound interesting.