Monday, April 3, 2017

Bhapa Doi/Baked Yogurt Pudding/Bengali Bhapa Doi

After a delicious vegetarian Saudi Pizza, am taking you all today to India to enjoy virtually some baked yogurt pudding which is quite famous in Bengali Cuisine. Its a fabulous dessert which involves minium cooking process with easily available ingredients. Though this ultimate Bengali dessert can be prepared easily by steaming, i opted for baking as this Bhapa doi can be prepared very much well in oven too. Served chilled, this baked yogurt pudding will definitely please anyone after a heavy meal, a prefect pudding to serve even for a get together as this pudding can be prepared very much a day before. The chilling part is very important before serving this fantastic dessert. Though usually Bhapa doi is flavored with cardamoms, many fancy versions of this pudding do exists. If you dont want to stick with different flavourings, you just need hung curd, sweetened condensed milk, milk to prepare this delightful dessert.

Bhapa Doi,Baked Yogurt Pudding

Though am a great fan of Bengali cuisines, am yet to dish out many lipsmacking dishes from this cuisine. One among those dishes, i have been looking for a chance to dish out is this Bhapa doi. Finally i prepared this fantastic pudding for this Mega marathon as i was supposed to bake something with 'B' for today's post as am running this month's Mega marathon with A-Z baking around the world as theme. This baked yogurt pudding was the first dish i have finalised when i was preparing the list for this month's bogging marathon. Though this was the first time am baking this fantastic Bhapa doi, i was quite skeptical about the taste but trust me we enjoyed thoroughly and even my better half asked me to bake some with mango puree, yes you heard it rite. He just loved it, very easy to prepare, dont forget to give a try to this lipsmacking Indian dessert. Hung curd is the must for baking this pudding, you can prepare the hung curd easily by straining yogurt with a muslin cloth, prepare this just before a day. Hung curd will be ready the next day to whisk this dessert.

Baked Bhapa Doi, Bhapa Doi, Bengali Yogurt Pudding

Recipe Source: Here
1cup Milk
1+1/2cup Hung curd
400grams Sweetened condensed milk
1tsp Cardamom powder
Some nuts or melon seeds (for garnishing)

Whisk the hung curd, sweetened condensed milk together in a bowl until the mixture turns smooth and creamy.

Now add the milk and whisk for a while, add the cardamom powder, give a stir.

Preheat the oven to 350F, meanwhile take 6 ramekins or oven safe small bowl and pour the mix till the rim.

In a baking tray, place the filled ramekins and pour enough water in the tray till the ramekins are half immersed.

Bengali Bhapa Doi

Place the tray in oven and bake for 35-40minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Put off the stove, let the ramekins cool completely.

Place in fridge atleast for minimum 2 hours before use.

Served chilled, garnished with some nuts or melon seeds.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 75

18 comments:

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said... Reply To This Comment

That is a great choice for the alphabet and the Bhapa doi looks amazing. I would love to dig into one of the pots :)

Padmajha said... Reply To This Comment

Such a delectable dessert! This too has been on my to-do list for a long time!

Pavani said... Reply To This Comment

That's a delicious choice for the letter 'B' Priya. Bhapa Doi looks creamy and delicious.

Harini R said... Reply To This Comment

I just ate this the other day at my Bangla friend's place and I am drooling all over again! Fantastic dish with B.

vaishali sabnani said... Reply To This Comment

This doi looks so creamy and sounds so so delicious, I remember my daughter making it for me when I visited her, it tastes awesome, though I really want to to try it myself.

Sowmya :) said... Reply To This Comment

I love this dessert so much. Didn't know a baked version was possible. My husband spent a few years in Bengal and is forever pulling my leg about my Bengali sweet mishaps...think now I can finally redeem myself! Yumm looking doi :)

Sharmila kingsly said... Reply To This Comment

Thought this is been in my to do list for a long time!! Have not tried it yet so far! Looks Delicious!! Love that creamy and sliky textured Bhapa Doi!!

Mrs.Mano Saminathan said... Reply To This Comment

The snaps are very beautiful and tempt me to try again after a gap of 10 years Priya! I have steamed this Bhapa Doi manually that time, not by baking. But how the orange colour comes on top?

Srivalli said... Reply To This Comment

Are you serious Priya?..You haven't baked a Bhapa doi till date?..Your blogs are walking encyclopedia and this is not there?..I think you must have done all the complex version of Bhapa doi and now making the basic one..hahaha..anyway those bowl look fabulous yaar..very good choice, and very smart to remember this. I was only thinking about international stuff that our desi and still on my todo list dish, was missed out..:)

The Pumpkin Farm said... Reply To This Comment

Bhapa doi is a beautiful selection - loved your little brown cups , bookmarkign ur recipe

Namratha said... Reply To This Comment

My cousin sis made this recently and she was raving about it and I have had it on my list to try since then. Yours looks perfect and those pots look adorable! Will try this.

Priya Suresh said... Reply To This Comment

@Mrs.Mano Saminathan Thank u so much, actually i broiled the top for few minutes, this turned the top bit brownish. Thats y its looks orange in colour. Hope i cleared ur doubt.

Srividhya said... Reply To This Comment

I second valli.. ;-) But sometimes we miss the simple and obvious ones. Great pick for letter B

Mrs.Mano Saminathan said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks a lot for the explanation Priya!

Ritu Tangri said... Reply To This Comment

Like you even I'm always skeptical about this sweet named dessert. Since you are giving so much of assurance, Keeping all my inhibitions aside, I'll certainly try this one.. Nice choice though😊

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Wow nice choice for B that too from India.... Loved your cups...

cookingwithsapana said... Reply To This Comment

Seriously this is so addictive and I wonder you have not posted it yet.

veena said... Reply To This Comment

That is a beautiful pick for the alphabet Priya. I have been wanting to do this for a very long time but never tried.