Monday, February 22, 2010

Red Snapper Hash/ Sankara Meen Puttu

Last week, i got a bag of frozen red snappers from Indian grocery..But back home those red snappers pieces wasnt tat much tasty and none at home liked the red snapper fish fry i prepared for our lunch with veggies kootu, i dont want to throw almost half a kg of this red snapper and i prepared them as a delicious puttu by cooking those fish pieces in hot water along with turmeric powder, once they get cooked i peeled the skin and removed the bones and prepared with shallots and spices as a tasty hash..Yes this red snapper hash was completely different and tasty from the puttu/hash we used to prepare with baby shark..We loved this delicious and tasty puttu with kootu, rasam and rice...


10nos Red snappers pieces
20nos Shallots (chopped finely)
1inch Ginger (chopped finely)
5nos Garlic (chopped finely)
3nos Green chillies (chopped finely)
1/2tsp Pepper powder
1/2tsp Turmeric powder
1tsp Fennel seed powder
1/2cup Coconut (grated)
1tsp Cumin seed powder
1/2tsp Mustard seeds
1/2tsp Urad dal
2tbsp Coriander leaves (chopped)
Salt
Oil

Cook the fish with 1/4tsp of turmeric powder and water until they turns soft, remove the skin and bones, smash the cooked fish pieces and add the pepper powder, cumin seed powder,remaining turmeric powder, fennel seed powder, salt and mix everything well until everything get well mixed..

Heat enough oil and let splutters the mustard seeds and urad dal, add the chopped ginger,chopped green chillies and chopped garlic pieces to the seeds and fry until they turns slight brown add immediately the chopped shallots and cook everything until the shallots turns transculent..now add the cooked and spiced fish and toss everything gently, cook everything in simmer until they turns dry and get well fried..

Finally add the chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut to the puttu, cook for few minutes and put off the stove... Serve as side dish with rice and gravies...

33 comments:

FH said... Reply To This Comment

Masala sounds great, never tried red snapper.Got to cook with Fish more, only seafood I cook is Shrimps! :D

Cool Lassi(e) said... Reply To This Comment

I know i have already told you before, but telling you again anyway,You are very creative. If my family hadn't liked this snapper I would have thrown it out without exploring the options. I suppose I should learn from you how to make something out of anything. :). BTW, the puttu looks so appealing and I guess this version was a hit at home afterall.

Sailaja Damodaran said... Reply To This Comment

yummy with rasam rice.My mom makes the same way but omits coconut.

Sook said... Reply To This Comment

I am glad that you found a way to enjoy red snapper with everyone. :) It looks fantastic!

Trendsetters said... Reply To This Comment

makes me hungry..yumm

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said... Reply To This Comment

It's my turn to shift my home next to urs esp near the kitchen so that I can grab all the goodies and deliciously prepare meals..the hash looks so mouth watering Priya..too bad i'm vegetarian tday:D

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

So delicious!! For a great fish fan like me, this dish sure will please the palates... :)

Sumi said... Reply To This Comment

delicious dish..reminds of the loads of shark puttu , that my mm used to feed me after the birth of my son (post natal diet).those were the times, felt like a queen..
will surely try this with red snapper.

Aparna said... Reply To This Comment

wowww priya so yummy..i wanna have some:)

Cham said... Reply To This Comment

We never made puttu with red snapper, I clicked the sura puttu last year, is still in my draft!
I like to fry snapper!

ruchikacooks said... Reply To This Comment

It sounds good, may be I can follow your footsteps and make a potato puttu :D

Gita Jaishankar said... Reply To This Comment

Puttu with sankara meen sounds very tempting and awesome Priya...For me only our place has the best seafood :) I too once got red snapper from a Chinese store, it was not like the tasty ones we get back home...hereafter I'll make puttu with them like you did :)

Home Cooked Oriya Food said... Reply To This Comment

looks very yum!

Love2cook Malaysia said... Reply To This Comment

My mum used to do puttu for me. I'm now craving for urs! ;)

Vikis Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

Yes, we all cannot waste our groceries. Love the way you utilized the red snapper. Nice puttu.

Nandinis food said... Reply To This Comment

My husband is a big fan of meen puttu. Tough part is removing bones after steaming( for me) . Puttu looks delicious and I cant imagine puttu without fennel seeds!:D

Suparna said... Reply To This Comment

hey priya something new...meen puttu sounds interesting dear

Sushma Mallya said... Reply To This Comment

sounds interesting, never cooked fish this way...loved it priya

GR said... Reply To This Comment

Hi Mouth watering receipe.Good click.

Parita said... Reply To This Comment

This is something very new to me! Looks good!

Finla said... Reply To This Comment

I wound't mind to have any kind of fish prepared the indian way as here if i make them hubby and daughter runs a mile away so i never make them.
Agree with asha the only seafood i make the indian way is Shrimps.

Menaga Sathia said... Reply To This Comment

Delicious puttu!!

Niloufer Riyaz said... Reply To This Comment

Red snapper is always my favorite but never imagined a puttu. Very novel recipe

Tina said... Reply To This Comment

Great recipe dear....Pass that bowl to me...

Pina Colada said... Reply To This Comment

nice way to go with fish...

notyet100 said... Reply To This Comment

fish looks so yum,..:-)

Shri said... Reply To This Comment

Looks delicious!

Yasmeen said... Reply To This Comment

Delicious Hash,you definitely know how to make best use of the ingredients in hand :D

Rachana said... Reply To This Comment

This is very new to me...looks good though!

tasteofbeirut said... Reply To This Comment

What a great idea! I would never have thought of it! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anjum said... Reply To This Comment

wow..such a new n nice recipe.I hav never tried our red snapper but after seeing this dish,I think it's worth a try:-))

Siddhi Shirsat said... Reply To This Comment

wow priya very nice dish with red snapper...looks very tempting...loved the preparation...its new 2 me, vl try soon

Heguiberto said... Reply To This Comment

humm i am going to try making this dish soon. my mouth is watering right now.