Saturday, October 11, 2014

Thirunelveli Godhumai Halwa/ Thirunelveli Wholewheat Halwa

Making Godhumai halwa aka whole wheat halwa from scratch was my long time dream since i started blogging.Halwa,this delicious sweet is famous at Thirunelveli/Tirunelveli and the famous Iruttukadai shop is very much known for its dark,caramel colour halwa. This halwa is my all time favourite,everytime whenever anyone goes to Thirunelveli the first thing we will eagerly wait is, definitely for this very rich halwa. This popular sweet can be prepared easily at home if you have whole wheat grains at home. However some makes this halwa with wheat flour and says its Thirunelveli halwa but the original Thirunelvali halwa is prepared with wheat berries. Wheatberries soaked over nite are later grinded as fine paste, this fine paste when tighted in a muslin cloth leaves the wheat milk, this milk when cooked with sugar, ghee and nuts makes this very dangerously addictive, glossy godhumai halwa.

Thirunelveli Wholewheat halwa, Godhumai halwa

If you planning this halwa, you must need two strong hands to help you, yes this halwa needs much attention and continous stirring. Eventhough its 1 cup of wheat berries, this dish need strong hands. Since i was very much excited to make this halwa at home, i kept on stirring and nailed this halwa prefectly. But trust me for the next two days, i had a severe shoulder pain and took pain killer for the pain. Better get an another hand to help you instead of suffering. Else this halwa rocks,ghee added to this sweet makes this more flavourful. We couldnt keep ourselves having this delicious sweet, we loved it to the core. This popular Thirunelveli godhumai halwa goes to this week blogging marathon as i picked Festival special as theme.Since Deepavali is nearing very much faster, give a try to this famous halwa and enjoy it.Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#45. 


Thirunelveli Godhumai halwa, Wheat Halwa, Wholewheat thirunelveli Halwa

1cup Wheat berries/Samba Godhumai
2cups Sugar
1+1/2cups Ghee
1/2cup Cashew nuts
1/2tsp Cardamom powder
2cups Water

Soak wheat for six hours if it is young, and 12 hours if it is matured.

Grind wheat with water as fine paste and strain with a sieve to extract milk from wheat.

Repeat process with cloth to filter out wheat granules,keep the milk overnight in fridge.

Next day while making the halwa,discard the clear water you can see on the top of the wheat milk.

Take the wheat milk in a heavy bottomed pan, cook in simmer.

Meanwhile take the sugar in a pan and heat in medium flame until the sugar gets caramelised.

Stir the caramelised sugar to the cooking wheat milk on stove, cook for half an hour till the mixture gets thickens. Add ghee little by little and keep stirring.

Add the cashew nuts, cardamom powder.

Continue till halwa comes in the middle of the pan without sticking on to the sides of the vessels.

Cool for a few hours,slice and serve.

If consumed after a day, heat in a microwave oven or on a pan before serving.

28 comments:

Mayuri Patel said... Reply To This Comment

unusual recipe for me... from wheat berries. I make halwa using plain flour. Looks tempting.

Sarita said... Reply To This Comment

I like this wheat halwa..It is very tasty. I tasted when I visited one temple ... Your pics look tempting..

Suma Gandlur said... Reply To This Comment

I made it from scratch once and I know it is a tedious process. The final dish is worth the work. Your halwa looks fabulous.

Varada's Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

Wow! You put in a lot of effort to make this dish. The halwa looks fabulous!

Srividhya said... Reply To This Comment

Lovely.. Wish I could goto nellai now :-)

Vrinda said... Reply To This Comment

U did it,I know its a long process,My hubby had made wheat halwa same way..looks gorgeous

Priya dharshini said... Reply To This Comment

Omg,you stirred thirunelveli halwa,hope your hands are feeling better now.I never tried this at home.But worth the hard work to do.

Nargis Aara said... Reply To This Comment

This halwa looks so perfect!! and you carried guts to make it!! Halwa's as it is need strong arms to keep stirring I got my lessons once lolz, I can so much relate to your pain, and i know this particular halwa must have tortured you along with its yumm taste. But my mom says if hands dont work mouth dont get to eat :)
On going event Rice up with sweets / spices

Srivalli said... Reply To This Comment

I am surprised you are yet to make this priya..I simply love this halwa and your plate is so tempting!

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

My favorite halwa and sure all of them there enjoyed it

Jo said... Reply To This Comment

Oh wow, Godumai halwa looks super delicious. Thirnelveli halwa is my all time fav.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Wow, sounds divine Priya....

Recipe world said... Reply To This Comment

Delicious looking Halwa..long time ago I had this. Will try ur version sometime..

Lincyscookart said... Reply To This Comment

Lovely tasty Halwa. My all time favourite. Wish i could get some right now.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Clicks are great,thanks for sharing this halwa ,my daughter loves this a lot

Priya said... Reply To This Comment

Halwa is amazing sis ..mouth watering too .

Chef Mireille said... Reply To This Comment

lovely texture

Sangeetha Priya said... Reply To This Comment

what a tempting halwa, gorgeous and perfect!!!

Ruxana Gafoor said... Reply To This Comment

looks so yummy

Sneha's Recipe said... Reply To This Comment

Wow delicious halwa. Lovely colour.

vaishali sabnani said... Reply To This Comment

Wow the halwa looks good. We made this long back for ICC. Yes sure you need effort to work on it but worth it.

Lifewithspices said... Reply To This Comment

sooper ahh irukku

Elisabeth said... Reply To This Comment

I do agree...it is lovely, and would love to try a few! Droolworthy delicious!

Padmajha said... Reply To This Comment

You have nailed it Priya! Yes, halwas like this do need a strong arm!

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

I wish I was living near you Priya, since I have never had this halwa before.. I North India, we make it using WWF and not the actual grain so its kind of easier than this and also different in texture. I wish I could taste this one soon :)

Denny said... Reply To This Comment

wow Priya, you make this dish seem so effortless. My mouth is watering looking at your pictures.

Pavani said... Reply To This Comment

I have heard a lot about this halwa, but never tried it myself. Your halwa looks like it's going to just melt in the mouth.

Harini R said... Reply To This Comment

A very tedious process for this lip smacking halwa!