Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sukku (Dry Ginger) & Dhaniya Coffee

My mom used to prepare this sukku & dhaniya medicinal decoction or coffee twice a week whenever she feels like having, she used to give us a cup of this flavourful coffee by insisting us which was quite like a poison for us when we were kids, but now i can understand why she insisted us to take this fantastic home remedy coffee which contains beautiful spices...This sukku coffee mainly goes for dry ginger, dhaniya(coriander seeds) and black peppers which are grounded as coarse powder and boiled with palm sugar to get this coffee, needless to say that all these spices are quite healthier and have many medical values which help us to overcome unsupportable chilled weather..This coffee helps a lot for digestion,cough,mild fever, nasal congestions,vomitting sensation in empty stomach when we woke up earlier..Now whenever one of us were down with fever or cold, i used to prepare this decoction immediately..Its quite a routine at our home and sometimes we can turned out this coffee as kashyam by using holy basil leaves (thulasi) which is quite available in India as herbal thulasi coffee..I cant leave India without a small bag of sukku, chittirathai and many other medical valuable spices as they are really very rare and quite expensive in Indian groceries..



Method 1:
1/2cup Sukku (dry ginger)
1/4cup Black peppercorns
1cup Coriander seeds
Palm sugar as per need

Grind as coarse powder all these spices and store them in air tightened box...Heat a cup of water , add the teaspoon of this spice powder and palm sugar as per ur need,bring them to boil..strain the coffee and enjoy immediately..

Method 2:
1no Sukku (small piece)
1tsp Coriander seeds
4nos Peppercorns
1tsp Palm sugar

Grind coarsely the dry ginger(sukku),coriander seeds and pepper corns, add immediately to enough water and bring them to boil, strain the coffee and add the palm sugar as per need..

Enjoy hot!!!

45 comments:

gtyuk said... Reply To This Comment

sukku coffee-yaa??? besh besh :):)

nice coffee you've posted at the right time ( my daughter is sick) but I don't have the sukku :)

nice useful recipe!!

Shanthi Krishnakumar said... Reply To This Comment

healthy and refreshing drink

Nandinis food said... Reply To This Comment

Medicinal Coffee! Woo! Comforting!

Priya Narasimhan said... Reply To This Comment

i love chukku coffee..nice entry for the event..

Sushma Mallya said... Reply To This Comment

Nice coffee,very flavourful and good for health...

Shama Nagarajan said... Reply To This Comment

thats a nice entry..me too have this in my draft...this is very famous in coutralam.......

Priya Suresh said... Reply To This Comment

@Akal if u dont have sukku, u can try out the same with fresh ginger pieces..

@SHama, yea even i enjoyed having this coffee at Thirumuruthi Falls after having a quick shower in falls..

Finla said... Reply To This Comment

My mom used to do the same too.
We only get ginger powder, not the dry dinger pieces.
I have been having cough and colf for the last days, this would be a wonderful drink to have now.

notyet100 said... Reply To This Comment

thnks 4 the recipe

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

yummy..will try tthis sometime..

Rachana said... Reply To This Comment

Nice entry for the event.

Tina said... Reply To This Comment

Healthy and refreshing drink..

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

This is such Healthy drink Priya,I will surely try this and will let u know...

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Priya that's a wonderful entry. Thanks for sending it to the event.

FH said... Reply To This Comment

Never tasted the Dhania coffee, interesting.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said... Reply To This Comment

A great hot beverage for the climate ma..do there other ingredients too Priya??

LifenSpice said... Reply To This Comment

This is new to me Priya. I usually use ginger in tea. But this one is definitely healthy! I will surely try this sometime..

Vrinda said... Reply To This Comment

Ginger coffee sounds so gr8 priya,i always put ginger in my tea,will try ur version..

Preeti Kashyap said... Reply To This Comment

this is soothing...a must when u have cough and flu!

Dershana said... Reply To This Comment

i luv this especially with palm jaggery :-)

Pavithra Elangovan said... Reply To This Comment

Thats wonderful post... good for cold. Nice refreshing drink too.

simplyfood said... Reply To This Comment

Interesting remedy,not one I have tried before.

Padhu Sankar said... Reply To This Comment

Perfect for the event.I prepare this only when I have cold or fever. My kids will not drink nor even taste it.

priya said... Reply To This Comment

great priya...i too prepare this, but adding dhaniya is new to me..will try this soon!

Hayley said... Reply To This Comment

Hey

nice coffee...perfact for this weather...

Preety said... Reply To This Comment

ginger and dhaniya in a coffee, never thought of that before.. great idea

Renuka Bedre - Rao said... Reply To This Comment

wow. this is gr8 :) wonderful for this weather..

Dolly Sharma said... Reply To This Comment

Priya,this is new to me..But Sukku has so many medicinal benefits..Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm not much of a coffee person, but I'm sure I can make Sukku and Dhaniya Tea..right. LOve ur Click..

Sayantani said... Reply To This Comment

Sukku Coffee is new to me and this seems a very comforting drink during cough and cold. we make almost similar a drink called kada. the picture is lovely too.

Cham said... Reply To This Comment

Sukku cofeee is the Best with pannam vellam! Great entry!

Namitha said... Reply To This Comment

Perfect time to post this...Great entry for the event Priya :-)

Trendsetters said... Reply To This Comment

great recipe..very useful

lata raja said... Reply To This Comment

Priya, have tagged you. kindly look up and do the needful.
http://lata-raja.blogspot.com/2010/01/by-book-and-karuvepillai-kuzhambu.html

Mowie @ Mowielicious said... Reply To This Comment

Interesting combination - I make a similar concoction with fresh ginger when I've got my man-flu, it usually helps =)

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

This is one of my fav coffee... looks abslty tempting priya..:)
i have one waiting in my draft folder.:)

Usha said... Reply To This Comment

Sukku in coffee, how interesting ! I am definitely going to pass this tip on to some of my coffee drinking family members :-)

Swathi said... Reply To This Comment

nice healthy drink, i make another version more often at home.your version looks good

Padma said... Reply To This Comment

healthy and flavorful coffee.

KALVA said... Reply To This Comment

Makes me have some hot tea now!!

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

Priya, I am sure this has loads of health beenfits and a gud source for home remedy..y dont us end it for sadhana muskaans event?

Priya Suresh said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks friends..

@Munch, i did already dear, thanks a lot...

Jeyashris Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

nice post,I wonder how u make perfect entries for all events.Keep going.

Gita Jaishankar said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks for sharing your mom's recipe Priya...for me this is the best flu buster :)

Shri said... Reply To This Comment

Nice!Comforting Priya!

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks, Priya. Both my husband & I are suffering from sore throat & flu right now. I just happened to come upon this post when I was looking for a remedy. Needless to say, we are both now enjoying a refreshing cup of sukku coffee and I think I am finally getting my voice back :)