Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ellu Sadham/Sesame Seeds Rice

After lemon rice and tamarind rice, my next choice always goes to ellu sadham, yes!! sesame seeds rice are my most favourite rice, this rice tastes spicy with a delicious nutty flavour, which my mom used to make out quite often during purattasi month,that too specially on saturdays..This sesame seeds rice is prepared with a mixture of roasted sesame seeds,dry roasted red chillies and roasted urad dal as coarse fine powder which can be conserved for a month if this sesame seeds spice powder are stored in an air tightened box and this spice powder is quite handy to make out this delicious rice dish anytime easily...When this grounded spice powder added to already cooked basmati rice tempered with ghee,mustard seeds,curry leaves and dry chillies makes out a fantastic & flavourful sesame seeds rice...watelse we need!! nothing will beat this delicious rice when served warm with potato chips or papads..its quite a long i prepared this rice at home, this sesame seeds rice was our saturday's lunch menu which i served with crispy masal vadai..Both together tasted divine, needless to say this delicious rice goes to my own event called Cooking With Seeds-Sesame Seeds also sending to Silpa's APS-Rice...



1/4cup Sesame seeds(i used white sesame seeds)
6nos Dry red chillies
2tbsp Urad dal
3cups Cooked Basmati rice

For Tempering:
1/4tsp Mustard seeds
1/4tsp Urad dal
2nos Dry red chillies
few Curry leaves
2tbsp Ghee

Dry roast sesame seeds in simmer until they turn golden brown, in tha same pan dry roast the dry chillies then followed by urad dal..keep aside and let them get cooled.. grind as fine or coarse powder with enough salt and store them in a air tightened box..

Add this spice powder to the cooked rice as much as u desire, meanwhile heat the ghee and fry the mustard seeds,urad dal, dry chillies and curry leaves, add immediately this tempered spices to the rice and toss gently until the rice get well mixed..add salt if needed..

Enjoy this dish with any side dish!!

34 comments:

SE said... Reply To This Comment

I love to add seasame seeds in all my masala preps...hey glad u mentioned about sending my recipe to the event..i had forgotten to mention it !

Dolly Sharma said... Reply To This Comment

Beautiful Click Priya and ur Ellu Sadham looks yummy..I have never made this rie..but will make it soon.

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said... Reply To This Comment

I haven't has these rice before will try out soon ..looks yummy:)

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

Hi Priya,

nice post and i love ellu sadam too. i remember i got it once at grand sweets and snacks ar adyar...they had served it in lovely dried lotus leaf cups...yum1!!

PJ said... Reply To This Comment

great click and a nice recipe! I have never tried sesame seeds rice before, but sounds very interesting!

Champa said... Reply To This Comment

I remember eating this in many temples. I think the way my mom made is very similar but she added dry coconut grated.

sathya said... Reply To This Comment

Wonderful recipe priya,love the click!

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

am planning to make it this week..gud entry for the event priya

Preeti Kashyap said... Reply To This Comment

i so love this dish....gets me nostalgic (my grandma used to make it)

Padma said... Reply To This Comment

me too just love the crunchness from sesame seeds. Looks very tempting Priya. Nice click.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said... Reply To This Comment

i have never had/made this rice. looks yum. lovely click!

Preethi Rajeev said... Reply To This Comment

This looky yummy Priya, i love sesame seeds, when it's roasted up it has a unique flavour. I'll also send some entries for your new event soon. Thanks for dropping by.

Ms.Chitchat said... Reply To This Comment

I love ellu sadham. Thanks for reminding me to prepare this one of these days :) Loved ur recipe and the pic.

Chitchat
http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

Sushma Mallya said... Reply To This Comment

Nice & crunchy rice...love the flavour of sesame seeds,must have been really a good one for sure...thanks for sharing

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Luv sesame seeds...first time seeing it with rice looks gud Priya!

chef and her kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

I love the sesame flavor in anything...looks yummy

Nandinis food said... Reply To This Comment

My mom (also) used to prepare this rice. Tasty (y)ellu sadham and looks perfect!

Uma said... Reply To This Comment

yummy rice dish. Looks tempting :)

Shama Nagarajan said... Reply To This Comment

yummy rice.....lovely one

Padhu Sankar said... Reply To This Comment

Hi Dear Priya What a coincidence! I am having sesame seed rice in my draft to send it to your event. I love the smell of sesame seeds ,so I always have this at home.I have this with a little hot rice and ghee almost everyday before meals.When I saw the event I thought of sending sesame seed rice for the event .Even now I am planning to send it as mine is slightly different from yours .I add jeera and pepper also.Can I send my version, Dear Priya

Priya Suresh said... Reply To This Comment

Thanks friends for ur encouraging words..

@Padhu, do send ur entry dear, i'll be happy to get ur entry also will try out version..

vidhas said... Reply To This Comment

Nice click, my husband's fvourite dish!!

Jagruti said... Reply To This Comment

Nice recipe...nice click also

San!!! said... Reply To This Comment

This is absolutely a new recipe priya,interesting.Lovely click.I will try this soon n let you know.

simplyfood said... Reply To This Comment

Simple and such an easy recipe.I am going to make that spice this weekend and try it out.

Cilantro said... Reply To This Comment

Reminds me of Amma, she made them often. Unfortunately my husband does not like them. I am missing it a lot.
BTW do you get the short red chillies here? or is the pic deceiving me...

Priya Suresh said... Reply To This Comment

@Cilantro,my sister send me a pack of this short red chillies quite a long back from India..I use them rarely..

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

This is one of my favorite rice, looks super delicius.

Lakshmi said... Reply To This Comment

ellu sadam looks yumm and besides soo easy to prepare also! thanks for the recipe..will sure try it sometime this week

Shri said... Reply To This Comment

The rice looks superb, Priya!

my kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

Ellu sadam roomba nalla erruku. Thinking about my grandmom.She used to prepare this rice for us.

Cham said... Reply To This Comment

Ellu sadam should be delicious never made it!

muns said... Reply To This Comment

machi... kalakura po.. super

muns said... Reply To This Comment

machi.. kalakura po... jhooperu