Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Baingan Bharta

Baingan bharta, famous Punjabi roasted mashed eggplant dip was one of my favourite, this time i got hooked with Aipi's Baingan Bharta which i bookmarked at her space coz this mashed eggplant is prepared along with a variety of veggies which sounds quite delicious for me, yep this baingan bharta goes for cooked and mashed potatoes, bellpeppers and mushrooms which pulled me to try out this dish today for our dinner and i served this baingan bharta along with rotis, both together turned absolutely delicious our dinner and works out wonder..Thanks a ton to Aipi for sharing her hubby's way of making baingan bharta, hats off to ur man Aipi..Even my man loved it along with rotis which was a hard task for me always whenever i prepare anything with eggplants..Obviously this is my entry to Priya's & Aipi's Bookmarked Recipes..

Baingan Bharta

1no Large Eggplant
2nos Potatoes (boiled & mashed)
2nos Tomatoes (big & chopped)
1/2cup Mushrooms (sliced)
1no Green bellpepper (chopped)
1no Onion (big & chopped)
7nos Garlic cloves (minced)
1no Green chilly (chopped)
1tsp Red chilly powder
1tbsp Coriander powder
1/2tsp Turmeric powder
1/2tsp Amchur powder
1/4tsp Mustard seeds
1/2tsp Cumin seeds
1/4tsp Asafoetida powder
Salt
Oil
2tbsp Coriander leaves (chopped)

Poke 2-3 holes on the eggplant and microwave in high for 5minutes,take out the eggplant and spray some oil over the eggplant, broil the eggplant in oven for 30-40minutes on turning the eggplant every 15 minutes..Take out and keep aside..let it cool, peel the skin off the eggplant and scoop out the flesh and keep aside..

Heat oil in a pan, add the asafoetida powder, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and stir until the seeds crackle, add immediately the minced garlic and chopped green chillies, saute until they turns golden brown, add the chopped onions, salt and saute for few minutes, add the bell pepper and saute for few minutes, immediately add the mushroom and cook everything in high..Immediately add the tomatoes, turmeric powder until the tomatoes turn mushy..Add the mashed potatoes and eggplant flesh with the coriander powder and mix, cook everything in lower flame..

Keep mashing the veggies, now add the red chilly powder and amchur powder..keep stirring until the mixture turns thick..Serve hot with rotis,rice or along with bread toast..

43 comments:

Daisy Roshan said... Reply To This Comment

nice texture and twist to the bharta

Kurinji said... Reply To This Comment

gr8 post!!!

pls visit my blog at

http://superyummyrecipes.blogspot.com/

Prema said... Reply To This Comment

Am a gr8 fan of baingan,love this with rotis.Loved ur version.Simply superb...

Soumya said... Reply To This Comment

Delicious dish....love to have with roti...very tempting

Pappu said... Reply To This Comment

mushrooms along with eggplants. awesome combo! very tempting! cheers:)

Shanthi Krishnakumar said... Reply To This Comment

Cool and wonderful. My favourite

indianspicemagic said... Reply To This Comment

My favourite recipe.....

Nandita SS said... Reply To This Comment

The bharta looks awesome. Must have tasted great as well :)

Priya Sreeram said... Reply To This Comment

baingan barta and rotis--- fab combo! loved ur version of the recipe !

Pavani said... Reply To This Comment

delicious n tempting curry..

Nammi said... Reply To This Comment

yumm looks delicious , great dish to serve with roti or bread

Hamaree Rasoi said... Reply To This Comment

very cool combination of veggies....Perfect way to enjoy with hot chapati

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

My Kitchen Antics said... Reply To This Comment

im sure it was awesome...

Heather S-G said... Reply To This Comment

I remember thinking how good that sounded, too. Yours looks absolutely delicious, as well :D

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

Yummy!!! Must be divine with Roti's!!!

Hayley said... Reply To This Comment

One of the best Aubergine dish which I love to have even for my b'fast..:-)

sonu said... Reply To This Comment

wow..lovely recipe..i too luv baingan bharta..

Jaisy James said... Reply To This Comment

wow looks delicious

Sushma Mallya said... Reply To This Comment

One of my fav, looks so good...

Harini said... Reply To This Comment

never heard of potatoes and mushrooms in eggplant..good one there!!

Menaga Sathia said... Reply To This Comment

love this dish...super!!

Elaichii said... Reply To This Comment

I have bookmarked Aipi's BB too. Yours looks so yummy!

Satya said... Reply To This Comment

baingan bharta looks so delicious ..i too hooked up when saw in aipis blog ...u made it so beautifully priya

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Rumana Rawat said... Reply To This Comment

This is my fav:)

Reshmi said... Reply To This Comment

oh wow! even i've bookmarked this recipe. will try it soon.

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

One of my fav baingan dish...yummmm

Finla said... Reply To This Comment

I can imagine how delicious this will be with roties.

FewMinute Wonders said... Reply To This Comment

BB is my all time fav side dish. I always order it when i eat out. Cannot beat its flavor. Your recipe uses potato that I have never tried, will book mark and try the next time.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Adding potatoes to the Bharta is new thing to me,looks very delicious and sounds yummy...
Great job...

Suji said... Reply To This Comment

Another fav of mine Priya...Awesome with rotis..

Rachana said... Reply To This Comment

I loveee baingan bharta and this alongwith mushrooms look so tempting :-)

Padhu Sankar said... Reply To This Comment

My favorite!! Love it with roti

Anonymous said... Reply To This Comment

very tasty looking..I just want a chapati to go along :)

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

One of fav. dish to make when I am tired!...just put everything together and make...yummy!! :))

aipi said... Reply To This Comment

Hi Priya- it makes me really happy that you and your husband liked the bharta. I know I find myself licking the bowl every time hubby makes it and I myself am not the biggest eggplant fan... maybe your compliment will encourage hubby to make a few more things and more often ;) You did a real fine job recreating it. It looks perfect.
Also,thanks a lot for linking this to bookmarked event.

US Masala

Shama Nagarajan said... Reply To This Comment

delicious recipe..thanks for sharing

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

i love them for all time, delectable

Swathi said... Reply To This Comment

Baingan bharta looks delicious. I have seen in Aipi blog it sounded good.You recreated well Priya.

Ameya said... Reply To This Comment

I love baingan in practically any form, especially bhartha!! Looks fabulous!

Home Cooked Oriya Food said... Reply To This Comment

wonderful baingan bharta!

Pavithra Elangovan said... Reply To This Comment

Wow my fav one ..looks so delicious..But i have never added mushrooms. Should try next time. Priya I must say u as super woman how fast u post recipes , hats off :)

Gayathri Kumar said... Reply To This Comment

Lovely Baingan Bartha. Looks great...

lissie said... Reply To This Comment

nice twist to BB! great with rotis...!