Thursday, November 8, 2012

Adhirasam

Adhirasam,the word itself makes me drool, its was one of my most favourite diwali special sweet. My grandma prepare this wonderful delicious rice based sweets specially for me whenever i ask her to make some. She was the only person for me who makes prefect adhirasam since i was kid, she makes a huge vessel full of this adhirasam for every diwali to distribute them  the whole village as the entire village is our relatives, obviously this dish makes me nostalgic.

After many flops, this time i was bit confident to give a try to my favourite adhirasam,i will definitely blame my blogger buddies for pulling me to give a try to this authentic sweet. They turned out extremely fabulous as like my grandma's adhirasam and got almost 13 medium sized adhirasam. I was seriously happy, when my first adhirasam came out prefectly.Sending to 60days of Christmas hosted by Priya and Divya.


2cups Raw rice
1cup Grated jaggery
1/2tsp Cardamom powder
Oil
1tbsp Ghee
Milk (as per need)

Wash and soak rice for two hours, drain the water and spread the rice on a clean cloth and let it dry for 15minutes.

Rice should be still wet, grind the rice in a mixer as super fine sooji like consistency.

Sieve the rice flour or else remove the lumps if there is any.

Rice flour shouldnt be dry,if you hold them with your fingers,you should able to get balls. Cover it and keep aside.

Cover the jaggery with a half cup of water, bring to boil. Strain this jaggery syrup to remove the impurities.

Bring again boil in a thick bottomed vessel and add the cardamom powder and cook until it bubbles.

Keep a small bowl of water, add few drops of this syrup, if the drops gets settled in the vessel and you are able to make a ball,that is the correct consistency for adhirasam,put off the flame.

Add immediately the already prepared rice flour little by little to the syrup with ghee and mix well to form a dough.

Always prepare this dough before a day, keep it in room temperture for a whole day.

Check the dough after a day,if its hard to form balls, springle milk and turn them as soft dough.

Next day, heat enough oil for frying, apply oil on a plastic sheet, make a lemon sized ball from the dough,flatten them as round shaped disc and slowly drop them in hot oil.

Cook on both sides until they gets a nice brown colour, remove the cooked adhirasam from the oil.

Press it gently with two slotted ladle to remove the excess of oil and arrange them in a paper towl.

Spread them to cool completely and store them in air tight containers.

44 comments:

zareena said... Reply To This Comment

My favorite sweet. I love to eat this anytime of the day....

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

very authentic and festive!! athirasam is looking awesome.. wish i was as close to it as the laughing buddha there:) Then I would not keep my hands tied above my head like the buddha, but it will be grabbing these delicious athirasams

Sowmya

Ongoing Event - CWF - Whole Wheat Flour

Srividhya Ravikumar said... Reply To This Comment

looks soft priya...

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

perfectly made and i am so scared to try them :) envy u having these yummy sweets :P

Prema said... Reply To This Comment

Delicious Adhirasam...luks Perfect...

Vidya Chandrahas said... Reply To This Comment

This looks awesomely delicious..interesting and sounds really good.

Asiya Omar said... Reply To This Comment

Adirasam looks yumm. Me going to try soon.

Divya A said... Reply To This Comment

Well made dear looks perfect and thanks for those lovely words dear :)
Wheat Flour Balls / Godhumai Maavu Urundai
My 4th gues post

Loveandcalories said... Reply To This Comment

Wow....one of those rare dishes that are seen in blogs...looks lovely! Used to buy and eat in temples!! :)

Vimitha Durai said... Reply To This Comment

Love adhirasams and urs look awesome

chef and her kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

nicely done adhirasam priya,good attempt

cookbookjaleela said... Reply To This Comment

rompa super priya

Prathima Rao said... Reply To This Comment

Nice & golden & mighty tempting!!
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Nandinis food said... Reply To This Comment

Wow! The athirasam looks quite delicious~! Nice shape!

kausers kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

They look so delicious...yum!

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

wow! they look so good Priya! very well explained.

Padhu Sankar said... Reply To This Comment

Love this sweet very much .Advance Diwali wishes Priya.

Sangeetha Priya said... Reply To This Comment

Very authentic n festive recipe, you made it well!!! feeling to try my hands soon :-)

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said... Reply To This Comment

Very authentic recipe, love the jaggery instead of sugar!

Finla said... Reply To This Comment

I don't think i have ever had this, sounds so good.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Never put my hand on this. My grandma's signature dish. Planning to prepare when she comes home next time. Tempting much.

virunthu unna vaanga said... Reply To This Comment

wow lovely one dear... its tempting...
Today - Round ups for my first event - FEAST FOR YOUR GURU
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Looks delicious and perfect....

Menaga Sathia said... Reply To This Comment

à®®ுதல்à®®ுà®±ையிலேயே சூப்பரா செய்திà®°ுக்கீà®™்க...நானுà®®் அதிரசத்திà®±்க்கு à®®ாவு கிளறி வைத்திà®°ுக்கேன்.வெல்லத்தை விட சர்க்கரை அதிரசம்தான் à®°ொà®®்ப பிடிக்குà®®்....

FewMinute Wonders said... Reply To This Comment

In the U.S you can find most sweets, esp in bay area. The only thing you cannot find is adhirasam. My constant demand if anyone visits India is to get me some from Sri Krishna Sweets or Grand Sweets. I have never tried it before. Will try making it soon. Thanks for sharing.

Shanthi said... Reply To This Comment

I love athirasam....nicely done..i would like to try it soon..

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

wow i knw it takes a lot of time and patience to make this....awesome job...yummy...
"DIWALI FOOD FEST" Nov 1th to Nov 30th
"Bake Fest #13" Nov 1th to Nov 30th
SYF&HWS - Cook With SPICES" Series
South Indian Cooking - July 15th to Sep 15th

Cham said... Reply To This Comment

That is very classy for Deepvali! Looks good and tasty!

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

i am just so scared to do it Priya...u are the best and perfect at everything! :)looks tempting!

GEETHA ACHAL said... Reply To This Comment

wow..adhirasam looks so tempting...my mom made adhirasam when she came here...

Julie said... Reply To This Comment

yumm yum:)
Join my ongoing EP events-Asafoetida OR Fennel seeds @ Divya's Culinary Journey

Usha said... Reply To This Comment

Wow Priya, this looks awesome ! Makes me feel like grabbing one through the screen :)

AJ said... Reply To This Comment

Yummy, loving them.

M D said... Reply To This Comment

I always though Adhirasam was tough to make. May need to try your recipe. Looks so perfect!

Shabitha Karthikeyan said... Reply To This Comment

One of my favorite sweet. Looks too good. !!

Nisa Homey said... Reply To This Comment

Love to munch on this...yum!

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said... Reply To This Comment

oh Priya my all time fav...looks so soft nad yummy..happy deepavali dear:)

Restaurants in kuwait said... Reply To This Comment

Wow really delicious one..and mouth watering,thank you very much priya,good job.

Suhaina said... Reply To This Comment

This looks too good Priya. Reminds me of childhood days. My grandma would prepare these and we would run about eating it.

Preeti said... Reply To This Comment

Hey Priya, these have turned really well. I was wondering to make them last day, however, thought the weather has gone so chilly...that the mix might not ferment well. But looks like it does. I made an optional version with coconut instead. But now I think I will make the original version:) We also top these anarse(as we call them) with poppy seeds:) Thanks for the post..just in time to save me..

Shabbu said... Reply To This Comment

Yummy and perfect one..

Alessandra said... Reply To This Comment

I didn't know them, they look yummy!

Ciao
Alessandra

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

i love authentic recipes.. well made priya :)

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

This is one of my fav sweet.. I have been thinking whether to make this for diwali or not.. Your clicks are really tempting.. Im gonna try it :)


Inviting you to join my on-going event
Cook Eat Delicious Dessert with Bananas

Thanks,
Sharanya
Sharans Samayalarai