Sunday, November 15, 2009

Bhindi Zunka

'Zunka', a Maharashtrian delicacy made basically with onions and bengal gram flour or besan..I learned this simple and easy side dish through my friend who adore north indian dishes and she prepared this delicious bhindi zunka when we went to her home for lunch before a month back, my H who never ever like bhindis loved my friend's bhindi zunka and he really appreciated her for this delicious dish, which pulled me to ask her for this recipe which i thought would be too long to cook..for my surprise this dish is completely very simple quick to prepare also very easy which tastes delicious..For me this zunka is one of the cousin sister of our paruppu usili, which is really very quick and easy to prepare than paruppu usili...U can prepare zunka simply with onions and bengal gram flour or else with any sort of veggies but personally i felt bhindi and capsicum works out wonder with besan flour..Zunka are traditionally served with bhakri, a thick flatbread made with jowar and bajra flours and this zunka and bhakri are the main foods of the rural Marathi peoples..This both dishes are well balanced in terms of proteins and carbohydrates....




2cups Bhindi/Okra/Lady fingers
1no Onion (chopped)
1/2cup Besan flour/bengal gram flour
1/2tsp Cumin seeds
1/4tsp Ajwain seeds
1/2tsp Turmeric powder
1/4tsp Red chilly powder
2nos Slit opened green chillies
3nos Curry leaves
1tbsp Coriander leaves (chopped)
2tbsp Oil
Salt


Heat a pan, add the besan flour and dry roast gently on medium heat until the aroma comes out, keep aside..in an another pan add enough oil, let splutters the cumin seeds, ajwain seeds..add the chopped onions, slit opened green chillies, curry leaves and saute until the onions turns transculent..now add the bhindi pieces saute with turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt for a few minutes now stir in the roasted gram flour and saute gently in medium heat, the flour will get cooked with oil and veggies, dont add any water...cover the pan with lid and cook in low heat for few minutes until the oil gets separates..garnish the coriander leaves and serve hot..

This zunka tastes great with rotis,curd rice, rasam rice or any other flat breads!!

39 comments:

Menaga Sathia said... Reply To This Comment

super,really its look very nice.soon i will try it!!

Sreelekha Sumesh said... Reply To This Comment

interesting and new recipe..looks very inviting dear..

prasu said... Reply To This Comment

wow..........intresting and new recipe dear.....looks delicious.

Shanthi Krishnakumar said... Reply To This Comment

A very new recipe by name . Looks delicious. As ususal a nice click.

Pari Vasisht said... Reply To This Comment

jhunka is an all time favorite at my place. Yours looks really appealing.

my kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

A kind of Usili,looks different & tasty

SE said... Reply To This Comment

mmmm...wow..looks very nice...nothing can beat the simplicity of the comfort food of zunka and bhakri..

Sushma Mallya said... Reply To This Comment

Nice name,interesting dish...

Nithya said... Reply To This Comment

Looks really interesting and new to me. :)

priya said... Reply To This Comment

looks delicious, priya...must try this someday!..thx for sharing!

Abhilash said... Reply To This Comment

I never heard about it though a north Indian but yes the recipe is really good.

I wonder why I never had this in my life?

Was I sleeping the day it was prepared? :) Hope so...

kidding boss!!!

Finla said... Reply To This Comment

I have neve rhad somethinglike this with okra, looks so so yummy.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Sounds interesting and nice recipe priya..love any dish with okra..my fav veggies..will try this for sure.

Vrinda said... Reply To This Comment

Liked the recipe dear...looks very tempting..

Cham said... Reply To This Comment

I thought it was pakoda but this one sounds very cool and new recipe!

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

hey priya,this is the recipe I was looking all over in the net..have tasted this in a indian rest buffet,but he puts a diff name "Andhra stlye okra fry" lol...sure i am gonna try this week

Dori said... Reply To This Comment

This is great, looks so delicious!

Usha said... Reply To This Comment

I usually make zunka with spring onions have never tried with bhindi looks delicious ! I also loved your use of oats in kootu, how clever and healthy !

Champa said... Reply To This Comment

I loved this recipe. Have never made bhindi with besan before. Will definitely try it out.

Sandhya Hariharan said... Reply To This Comment

Interesting.... Need to try them out..

Dolly Sharma said... Reply To This Comment

This is one thing I have heard of but never did try to make Zunka. Now you have made this possible.

I'm a fairly new blogger and I am so impressed by your blog. You are one consistent blogger churning out one great recipe after another. I think it would be apt to call you the "Recipe Fairy".

Malar Gandhi said... Reply To This Comment

Sounds nice, each time I try to make bhindi crispy, that is without stickiness...this looks like a great recipe, a must try one:)

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Absolutely delicious, love this dish.

Nandinis food said... Reply To This Comment

Sounds interesting. In this season we never get good quality bhindi:(

chakhlere said... Reply To This Comment

wow. I just feel like having it right away with a hot roti.

Yummmmmmmmmyyy.

Sarah Naveen said... Reply To This Comment

Thats an interestingly new recipe for me!!! sounds gr8 and looks so yummy!!!

Tina said... Reply To This Comment

Nice combination dear...Never tried this...Looks crispy and yummy.

Parita said... Reply To This Comment

I love love love this dish, its one of my fav ways to have bhindi :-)
You made me really hungry now :-)

Srikitchen said... Reply To This Comment

wow! it looks delicious!
Check out Oats series round up and i welcome u to join with us in the Variety Rice Series going in my blog!

Jeyashris Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

oops absolutely looking delicious.Nice idea of adding besan.will try next time

CurryLeaf said... Reply To This Comment

Superb.Very nice you tried it Priya.Perfect it is with bhakri

Gita Jaishankar said... Reply To This Comment

The dish looks very tasty Priya....I have seen a similar preparation with bell peppers...okras sounds awesome dear :)

Shri said... Reply To This Comment

WOW!My mom make it with tindora..I hope I spelled it right

Yasmeen said... Reply To This Comment

Sounds so much better than plain fried okra,must try :D

RV @ Food for 7 Stages said... Reply To This Comment

delectable recipe....Thanks for sharing it Priya..

EC said... Reply To This Comment

Thats an interesting recipe to try with bhindi...thanks for participating

sunil kapadia said... Reply To This Comment

in my entire life i have never tasted bhindi so gud...excellent recipe !!! gud job and god bless u !!!

sunny said... Reply To This Comment

Excellent!!

Menaga Sathia said... Reply To This Comment

உங்களின் இந்த குà®±ிப்பை செய்தேன்.à®®ிகவுà®®் நன்à®±ாகயிà®°ுந்தது.பகிà®°்வுக்கு நன்à®±ி ப்à®°ியா!!