Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tapioca (Maravallikizhangu) Medhu Vadai

Tapioca roots are highly rich in carbohydrates also these roots are gluten free, and nearly protein free...making vadai out of this delicious tapioca roots is one of the best snacks which my grandma used to do whenever we go to our grandma's village..My grandma's village is very much near to Tindivanam, its a cute little village which is still in Villupuram district brings me loads of beautiful memories..This medhu vadai is one of my favourite snacks from my grandma, i want to post this delicious snacks which makes me nostalgic for Shama's event, where she is asking her blogger friends for Village dishes....one of the easiest way to insert tapiocas in our dishes..none will find out the difference between usual medhuvadai..Tasty medhuvadai goes to Grammathu Kaimanam a fabulous event by Shama of Easy2cook..


1 cup Urad dal
2 cups Tapioca(maravallikizhangu)grated
1 cup Chopped onion
3 nos Green chili(chopped)
1/2 tsp Fennel seed powder
1/2tsp Ginger grated
4 nos Curry leaves
2tbsp Coriander leaves
Salt as per taste
Oil for deep frying

Soak urad dal atleast for 2 hours, meanwhile grated tapioca finely and keep aside,grind urad dal just sprinkle some water will helps to grind, while the urad dal is half grounded(never add more water even its hard to grind) add the grated maravallikizhangu to the urad dal..this will help to grind evenly both urad dal n maravallikizhangu, let them grind for a while..take off the vada batter in a large bowl..




Add finely chopped onions, green chillies pieces,curry leaves, chopped cilantro leaves, ginger, fennel seed powder, salt n mix everything together..heat oil in a pan, take a small ball out of the batter n make them as vadai, make a small hole in the middle of the vadai n pour it in hot oil, do them as batches..

Tasty n crispy Tapioca(Maravallikizhangu) medhu vadai is ready to serve...


Notes
If the batter is slightly watery, can add a tablespoon of rice flour..
Make sure that oil should be very hot...

43 comments:

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

wow.. nice entry priya.. but here i cant get Maravallikizhangu.. looks crispy & yummy...

Navita (Gupta) Hakim said... Reply To This Comment

hey great recipe Priya.only one question--how do u grate tapioca...its sabudana na...pardon my ignorance...but is this one referring to some veggie?

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

perfect for the event priya they looc so yum yum yummy hummm nice color too i think my kothmeera pachadi is a good combo for these vadai s na he he he..

Priya Suresh said... Reply To This Comment

0 ²Hi Navita, its a root..sabudana are produced from this root..hope this helps, will post the picture of this soon..Thanks Sri and rekha, yea rekha ur corinader chuntey is a good combo with this vadai..

Parita said... Reply To This Comment

this is looking very crisy and yummy, very nice way of adding Tapioca in food, perfect entry for the event..

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

WOw...simply superb..never heard..and wanna try this priya...

lubnakarim06 said... Reply To This Comment

Wow something new to me......Looks yum.

FH said... Reply To This Comment

Great entry. Tapioca is very nice addition, new to me! :)

Ramya Vijaykumar said... Reply To This Comment

Tapioca is a good add... its crispy... I have never posted even one vada recipe so far... perfectly fried vadai...

Valarmathi Sanjeev said... Reply To This Comment

Adding tapioca in vada is different. Looks crispy and yummy.

Suparna said... Reply To This Comment

hi priya,
this is new to me I know of tapioca..but medhu vadi from it mmm...must be a tasty thingie,great for tea time yumm and crispy

Gita Jaishankar said... Reply To This Comment

This vadai is new to me Priya, sounds and looks so delicious, I must try this soon! Thanks for sharing this recipe dear :)

Rachel said... Reply To This Comment

tapioca in the form of a vada....very novel.

Sucharitha said... Reply To This Comment

vow, another lovely recipe of that maravallikizhangu. Love it !!!

Finla said... Reply To This Comment

You are really inventive with ingridients, i have never had vada with tapioca, looks so crispy delicious.

Ashwini said... Reply To This Comment

Very nice Priya..Nice healthy addition. Looks crispy and yumm

Pooja said... Reply To This Comment

Looking very crisy and delicious priya..

Mangala Bhat said... Reply To This Comment

wow! new recipe again ..wow! wonderful :)looks very crispy

Nandinis food said... Reply To This Comment

Cripsy vadai! you gals remind me my school days. But I dont have any idea how my mom cooked this vadai hehehe. ... Nice entry!

Cham said... Reply To This Comment

I love the steamed kizangu. They are crisp and golden ur vadas.

Chutneytales said... Reply To This Comment

This is my dad's fav !I love it too..It looks so yumm!!

Deepthi Shankar said... Reply To This Comment

this is soo new to me .. looks perfect

Lavanya said... Reply To This Comment

looks lovely..very nice..perfect shape n crispy too!!

Ashwini said... Reply To This Comment

new recipe to me...will try

AnuSriram said... Reply To This Comment

Sounds crispy and delicious! The outer layer of vadas looks so crisp.. is that becoz of tapioca? Yumm yumm!

Purva Desai said... Reply To This Comment
This comment has been removed by the author.
Purva Desai said... Reply To This Comment

Nice idea of using Tapioca for vadai....they look crunchy but I have never used them in my cooking....seeing ur vadai I feel to use them soon

FewMinute Wonders said... Reply To This Comment

Priya,

I take my hats off to you. You post so often and its so amazing to see your posts. Vadai is my biggest challenge. I can never make the perfect ones like you have made. Tapioca is very healthy I have heard. Must see if I can find some here.

Vanamala Hebbar said... Reply To This Comment

this is nice one.....

Uma said... Reply To This Comment

looks so crunchy and yummy!

Avisha said... Reply To This Comment

This sure looks yummy Priya,just perfect for a snanck on a rainy day,the kind of weather that we are having.

Vaishali said... Reply To This Comment

I've never tried medhu vadai with tapioca. These sound so amazing, Priya.

Priya Sriram said... Reply To This Comment

Oh! We can prepare medhu vadai with tapioca too? Sounds awesome ! Looks crispy and yumm Priya! :)

Lavanya Raj said... Reply To This Comment

Priya..I have never tasted this vadai..but longing to taste! Yours make me drool!

Varsha Vipins said... Reply To This Comment

Drool..ANother unique one..yumm..:)

Manju said... Reply To This Comment

great!! tapioca in medhu vada, that will be awesome!1

Raks said... Reply To This Comment

Looks yummy! I have never tried this before,thanks for the recipe!

sriharivatsan said... Reply To This Comment

This looks cripsy..never got this idea...Your effort is much appreciated Priya..

VIDYA VENKY said... Reply To This Comment

lovely priya..excellent vadais

Mahimaa's kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

awesome priya.. looks great.

Pavithra Elangovan said... Reply To This Comment

So nice and tempting

Deepa Hari said... Reply To This Comment

Tapioca vadai...One more new recipe...Vadai looks crispy and yum Priya...Perfect to snack.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

I have heard abotu this medhuvadai. Havent tried it myself! lovely entry!