Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dry Nightshade Berries & Potato Gravy/Manathakkali Vathal Urulai Kuzhambu

Most of my buddies and followers left comments asking about the new name of my space, yep guys its been a while i want to change the name of my space. Finally i changed it before few days,hope you guys like it. Also am trying to finish my header with some recipe clicks,but its quite a tough task for me.Will get my header soon hopefully,till that please bear with my simple header..

Coming to this kuzhambu, its one of our family favourite, comforting food for us. Serve me this kuzhambu with papads,i can have it anytime of the day. Am so crazy of this yummy tangy gravy, my mom passed me some of this dry nightshade berries some days before, while going through my space i was bit shocked to see that my favourite gravy with this dry nightshade berries is missing. Prepared it again yesterday with some potatoes and served everyone at home with hard boiled eggs and fryums..Gingelly oil gives more flavourful to this tangy gravy,you can add brinjals,bhindis to the gravy in case you dont want to add potatoes..Sending to my own event Healthy Vegetarian Side Dish guest hosted by Vardhini..


1/4cup Manathakkali vathals/Dry nightshade berries
2nos Potatoes (cubed)
1cup Tamarind juice
1no Onion (big & diced)
2nos Tomatoes (chopped)
7nos Garlic cloves
Few curry leaves
1tsp Chilly powder
1tbsp Coriander powder
1/2tsp Pepper powder
1/2tsp Cumin ppowder
1tsp Mustard seeds +fenugreek seeds
1/2tsp Ajwain seeds
1/2cup Gingelly oil
Salt

Heat gingelly oil in a heavy bottomed pan, fry the mustard seeds,fenugreek seeds,ajwain seeds and curry leaves ,now add the dry nightshade berries and garlic cloves and fry until they turns brown, add immediately the diced onions,chopped tomatoes and cook until the onions turns transculent and tomatoes turns mushy..

Add the chilly powder,coriander powder,pepper powder,cumin powder,salt to the tamarind juice and finally add this spiced tamarind juice to the cooking veggies..

Bring everything to boil now add the cubed potatoes, cook everything in simmer until the oil gets separates,the gravy constitency should be bit thick..

Serve hot with hot steaming rice and papads..

49 comments:

Umm Mymoonah said... Reply To This Comment

I like the new look of your blog and the new name too, kulambu also looks very delicious.

Indian Khana said... Reply To This Comment

That's looks so yum n perfect ....nice combo

Kannada Cuisine said... Reply To This Comment

Nice layout priya..wonderful curry as well

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

My fav too...enga pack panunga, it looks damn yummy :)

Hema said... Reply To This Comment

Mouthwatering, I love adding potatoes to this kind of kuzhambu..

Roshni said... Reply To This Comment

I love manathakkali... it has the unique taste... your kozhambu looks perfect

Saritha said... Reply To This Comment

This new look is very simple and sweet....I came here two days back and i thought i came to someones blog not priya's.

Suchitra Vaidyaram said... Reply To This Comment

Yes, I was wondering about ur blog. You have completely changed it. Looks great. The kozhambhu looks rich and spicy.

Suchitra Vaidyaram said... Reply To This Comment

I was wondering about ur blog. U have changed it completely. Looks great. Loved ur kozhambhu

Nalini's Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

Looks so yummy and tempting....like to have it with rice and appalam....Mouthwatering.

Aruna Manikandan said... Reply To This Comment

looks perfect priya :)

Asiya Omar said... Reply To This Comment

I just confused, then realise the new look.Nice recipe.

simran said... Reply To This Comment

i love the recipe....only thing is i don't know what nightshade berries are!......the rest of the stuff i know and frankly i can imagine the lovely tangy taste.

HomeKreation said... Reply To This Comment

Honestly this makes me drool...!

Akila said... Reply To This Comment

Mouth watering n spicy kuzhambu... Just live it..

Event: Dish name starts with L

Regards,
Akila

radha said... Reply To This Comment

The dish looks so lovely. Nice new look for the blog.

Sanjeeta kk said... Reply To This Comment

Yum..yum..the curry looks tempting!

Sharmi said... Reply To This Comment

hmmmm yummy, my mouth is watering, its been so long I made vatral kulambu, have to buy some vatral right away:)

Shanthi Krishnakumar said... Reply To This Comment

Thick and perfect

Shama Nagarajan said... Reply To This Comment

lovely kulambu dear....

Suja Manoj said... Reply To This Comment

New to me,curry looks wonderful..tempting

Nadji said... Reply To This Comment

Chez toi, je découvre toujours des ingrédients que je ne connais pas.
On y a toujours des surprises. C'est génial.
Bon 1er mai et à bientôt

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Never cooked with this berry, but it looks superb !!!

Finla said... Reply To This Comment

I have never had this but tha tpicture makes me drool for it.

Finla said... Reply To This Comment

Did you change the name of your blog??

Swathi said... Reply To This Comment

Delicious vathal kulambu, Like the new name of the blog.

Sensible Vegetarian said... Reply To This Comment

Priya all I want is a bowl of thayir sadam with this super tangy kuzhambu.

Reshmi Mahesh said... Reply To This Comment

Spicy and delicious looking kuzhambu..

ruchikacooks said... Reply To This Comment

love it love it! Incidentally I am posting one too, I wonder how many variations we have of this vathakozhambu :)

Sravs said... Reply To This Comment

Super recipe !! looks so appealing and tasty one !!

Ongoing event CC:Mom’s Recipe

Laavanya said... Reply To This Comment

The colour of the kuzhambu is just so perfect and tempting. There is no limit to the amt of rice I can eat with this kuzhambu. I've not added potatoes before though... must try your version sometime.

Julie said... Reply To This Comment

Lip smacking flavors,Priya..Congrats on your blog's new name,nice name..
You can link this to my ongoing event IRON RICH FOODS :-)

Join me in the ONGOING EVENTS-"Ginger & Pepper Corns/powder(EP Series-May) ,
Show me Your HITS 'Iron Rich Foods'
ERIVUM PULIYUM

Home Cooked Oriya Food said... Reply To This Comment

like the new name and space...

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said... Reply To This Comment

looks yummy

Cham said... Reply To This Comment

I noticed the change - the kuzhambu looks superb- make me hungry!

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Love the pics,ur new name and the new look to ur blog.kuzhambu looks good.

Kaveri Venkatesh said... Reply To This Comment

Looks so yummy...feel like having some with white rice and sutta applam.

Jayanthy Kumaran said... Reply To This Comment

absolutely delicious..:P
Tasty Appetite

Shabitha Karthikeyan said... Reply To This Comment

Truly makes me drool. Love this kuzhambu and do not get the vathal here. So bad !!!

Gayathri NG said... Reply To This Comment

Mouthwatering kulambu, sounds great...

Mary Bergfeld said... Reply To This Comment

Your blog looks wonderful and the recipe sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Sangeetha Nambi said... Reply To This Comment

Its tempting me Priya.. Love your new name toooo....

Jeyashris Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

This sounds awesome priya and love the texture

Bhamathy said... Reply To This Comment

Super tempting...I didn't even the english name for Manathakkali... Thanks for the nice recipe with awesome clicks. Happy to follow u..

FewMinute Wonders said... Reply To This Comment

One of my fav to have with rice and appalam any time.

Mahi said... Reply To This Comment

Wow...kuzhambu looks delicious! :P

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said... Reply To This Comment

never seen that berry... wish u wud have put a pic im so curious to know what they look like.. the curry looks delecious

Nada said... Reply To This Comment

This is mouth watering Priya...I miss curry leaves...

Vardhini said... Reply To This Comment

I was going to make manathakali vatral kuzhambu last weekend then realized I was out of it. Easy and tasty kuzhambu. Thx for linking.

Vardhini
CooksJoy