Sunday, July 7, 2013

Rendez Vous With A Foodie - Kalpana Sareesh of Life With Spices

Hello all, its 7th July and here comes a chitchat with an another budding blogger who cooks wonderfully with healthy stuffs, she blogs at Life With Spices.Most of my readers know that twice a month am introducing newbie blogger to this immense blogging virtual world, just to showcase their blogs with their guest posts they prepred specially for me. Since ever i started this event, its running with huge success and all my guests never surprised me with their humble and delicious dishes. Am honoured and blessed to get this much down to earth persons besides me.


Coming to today's host, she is none other than Kalpana Sareesh,one of my favourite budding blogger who never failed to surprise me with her beautiful,healthy creations. Just go through her space, am sure will be astonished to see the variety of healthy foods she shares.Needless to say about her food photography, she rocks with her food styling and seriously her blog helps definitely whoever want to experiment with whole grains and organic foods. 

Kalpana, she is a wonderful person who never stops visiting and leaving her honest comments and obviously she is one of my follower who never failed to visit me everyday. I love her dedication towards blogging eventhough she works. Dunno how she manage to work and blog at the same time, honestly thats a hard task for me.Kalpana is also a young chef and blogger who speaks from her heart and whenever i talk with her through FB, seriously i felt talking with one of my younger sister. The way she speaks and the way she replies you, eventhough you have never crossed her in your real life, you will definitely feel that she is a amazing cook with huge heart.

Now lets hear from Kalpana..

A blog which inspired me to cook healthy dishes more importantly the quickest but the yummiest way would def be Priya jee’s blog. She is one of the most humble person ever met on a virtual world.

I read every post of hers and go flattened the way the same ingredient is cooked in so different ways. My blog is completely inspired from hers. 

Baking addiction begun only after watching her space. Thanks a lot for inspiring budding people like me and for this wonderful opportunity to showcase me in your versatile blog.

Tell us about your blog and you?
Hi! Am Kalpana a Chennai person living in Chennai with my Husband. I am a Finance Manager in a Logistics firm owned by my Father. Blogging @ Life with Spices started has fun .. My hubby dear and my lil sister kicked me to start blogging. They patronize every dish I cook.
Before and after blogging, tell us what blogging changed your life?
Blogging gave me the zeal to try new recipes importantly healthy recipes. 
It drove me to hunt for healthy ingredients during grocery shopping. At times have travelled upto 30 kms to get a pkt of Couscous. 
Importantly my camera got a new life and only blogging taught me baking at home is fun.
 When and wat motivated you to blog about food?
While jobless at home for few months after quitting job from Banking Industry the only work was to browse for new recipes and cook. This made me to start my own blog.

There are tons of blogs/pages on food these days, what according to you is the speciality of your blog and the food you cook?
I post simple, healthy dishes and never deal with complicated methods and high calorific dishes. 

When its comes to cooking, who is your inspiration?
Definetly my grand mother for her quick fix and yummiest dishes. She’s 84 yrs old and still cooks food everyday at home. And of course my dad for his exotic cooking methods.

Every newbie blogger faces tons of challenges when its comes to blogging, tell me about one of the challenges you faced and how did you overcome it?
“Blogspot” – Terror word, struggled a lot with html codes. Google and Yahoo answers was the saver. 

What is your best recipe and your favourite recipes you have blogged till now?
Best and fav recipes would def be Appam Without Yeast, Karpuravalli Rasam/Cuban Oregano Rasam, Brown Rice Idli with Red Chilly Garlic Chutney,Podi Idli and Lemon Coriander Soup. I loved cooking these dishes and these are my most favs too.

Few tips about food photography?
Am a very beginner in food photography. Lighting is the major factor for pics. 

What is your budget for the props,do you have any or else do you manage with household stuffs?
I spend not more than Rs.200. Intially I was managing with household but later started hunting and my budget is minimal.

How do you plan your blogposts? Do you post rarely,regularly or once a week?
It depends on my work at office and my personal commitments. But I try posting at least twice a week.

Do you have any other passions apart from blogging?
I have also done my Masters Degree in Bharatanatyam. So I’ve been teaching Bharatanatyam at a dance school for kids during weekends.



And now to the recipe.. a simple tangy bake for a sweet person .. Priya jee..

Lemonies (a) Lemon Brownies
Recipe Source - Simply Sweet N Savory

 This is a citrusy flavored and refreshing quick bake. There is no baking powder or baking soda in the recipe. If you love citrus flavors you will sure love it..


What you need for Brownies :
3/4 cup - All-purpose flour
3/4 cup - Sugar
1/4 tsp - Salt
1/2 cup – Low cal butter, softened
2 nos - Eggs
2 tbsp - Lemon juice
1 tsp - Lemon zest, grated

For Lemon Glaze :
1 cup - Powdered Sugar
2 tbsp - Lemon juice
2 tsp - Lemon zest

Method : 
Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease or line an 8" square baking pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar & salt. Mix in the softened butter.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon juice and zest. 
Pour into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth and well combined.
Pour into the baking pan and bake for 25 minutes or until done.
Allow to cool completely before pouring the glaze.  
Combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl and stir well until smooth. 
Spread glaze over brownies and let set.
Cut into squares and enjoy!

Hope you liked Kalpana's citrusy brownies, dont forget to give a try to these beauties.

I'll be coming back with an another budding blogger's guest post on 20th July,stay tuned friends.

19 comments:

Rafeeda AR said... Reply To This Comment

those lemonies look so good... gr8 job done, kalpana... :)

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

lovely akka and kudos and every time a new blogger with a recipe.such a wonderful journey you having sis with others.am proud that am also joined with u:)nice to know about kalpana akka

Shama Nagarajan said... Reply To This Comment

yummy and drooling

Asiya Omar said... Reply To This Comment

I too like Kalpana Sareesh very much,Her blog looks amazing with nice clicks and delicious healthy foods.Nice Post Priya and the lemonies looks yum..

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said... Reply To This Comment

god post, nice knowing more about Kalpana, and kudos to you too, Priya for hosting these !

Laxmipriya said... Reply To This Comment

these looks so lovely.. nice to know more abt u kalpana.. :)

meena said... Reply To This Comment

lovely guest post priya.beautiful pics and want to try these soft and moist lemon brownies.

Priya Elias said... Reply To This Comment

They look so good Kalpana :) Loved reading your post as usual Priya :)

Jaleela Kamal said... Reply To This Comment

Lemonies looks delicious.Nice hear about Kalpana,
//she is a wonderful person who never stops visiting and leaving her honest comments and obviously she is one of my follower who never failed to visit me everyday.//
Yes it's true Priya, she regularly visit my both blogs (Tamil & English) and leaving nice comment.

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

This looks so yummy and I could pop em in right now.

fimere said... Reply To This Comment

superbe et délicieux bravo
bonne soirée

Corporate to Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

Nice to know about Kalpana. The semolina brownie looks so cute & will definitely give this a try.

Shree said... Reply To This Comment

beautiful post ! nice to know about Kalpana. cute lemonies as well !

Sanoli Ghosh said... Reply To This Comment

Absolutely lipsmacking lemonies. A wonderful guest post by Kalpana, nice to know about her. And you are having a wonderful journey with food bloggers Priya akka. Thanks for sharing.

today's post:
http://sanolisrecipies.blogspot.in/2013/07/phulko-luchi-r-aloo-chorchori-puffed.html

Shanthi Krishnakumar said... Reply To This Comment

Looks yummy and lovely.. Great clicks too :)

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Lovely post.

Sangeetha Priya said... Reply To This Comment

wow lovely post and so cute brownies :-)

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

looks so yummy.

Harini said... Reply To This Comment

This a very sweet gesture Priya :)and xoming to the brownies they are so so inviting :)