Friday, August 12, 2011

Vazhai Thandu/Banana Stem Kootu

I couldnt stop myself to get some fresh and rare veggies from India, one among those is this banana stem..Eventhough my MIL prepared many curries with this banana stem,my favourite goes always to my version of kootu..Today for our lunch i prepared this quick and nutritious kootu with moongdal and with a grounded masala paste with coconut,cumin,coriander seeds and dry red chillies..Enjoyed having this wonderful,healthy and delicious kootu with rice and papads..Needless to say how healthy these banana stems are, even i had the famous juice with this banana stem during our vacation in India, a must to drink if you go to India..


1/2cup Moongdal
2cups Banana steam (chopped)
1no Onion(chopped)
1no Tomato (chopped)
1tsp Mustard seeds+Urad dal
2nos Dry red chillies
1/4tsp Asafoetida powder
1/4tsp Turmeric powder
Few curry leaves
Salt
Oil

To roast & grind:
1tbsp Coriander seeds
1/2tsp Fennel seeds
1tsp Cumin seeds
5nos Dry red chillies
3tbsp Grated coconut

Roast and grind all the ingredients given under the list 'to roast & grind' as fine powder, meanwhile pressure cook the moongdal,chopped banana stem with turmeric powder and salt with enough water upto 3 hisses...keep aside until the steam gets released.

Heat enough oil, lets splutters the mustard seeds,urad dal,asafoetida powder, fry the red chillies until brown, now add the chopped onions,chopped tomatoes,curry leaves and saute until the onions turns transculent...Add the cooked dal-banana stem mixture,already prepared spice powder to the onions,cook everything for few minutes,put off the stove..

Serve hot with papads along with rice or simply with rotis and dosas..

26 comments:

Prema said... Reply To This Comment

Healthy kootu,love this recipe...

Menaga Sathia said... Reply To This Comment

நல்லாயிருக்கு,அம்மாவும் இப்படிதான் செய்வாங்க...

Veena said... Reply To This Comment

banana stem is very good for digestive system.. mom would make it for us. thanks for sharing the recipe.

Shankari said... Reply To This Comment

Hi Priya, I was looking for Ragi recipes n landed here in ur blog.. got d Kozhukattai which u had posted in 2008.. thn I came 2 d home page.. wow ur photos r clear n lovely.. gr8.. will surely follow u..

KrithisKitchen said... Reply To This Comment

I love Vazhai thandu very much... Missing it here...

Sensible Vegetarian said... Reply To This Comment

Yummy and healthy one. Looks delicious.

Suja Manoj said... Reply To This Comment

Welcome back dear..kootu looks so yummy,gravy is really tempting.

Prathima Rao said... Reply To This Comment

YAY!!!Glad to have u back!!! Hope u had a lovely vacation :) And a mouthwatering kootu... :)
Prathima Rao
Prats Corner

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Interesting combination kootu

Manju said... Reply To This Comment

Good to see you back. Kootu looks yummy. I have somehow always been intimidated with cooking with vazhai thandu, I think I just have to get over that and make this!

Laxmipriya said... Reply To This Comment

I prepare only stir fry with vazhai thandu.. Nice learning this new kootu..

Mélange said... Reply To This Comment

Wow..drooling over this koottu.My all time fav is banana sten.And that with moongdal..you made it maximum nutritious..nice mix too...

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

delicious kootu priya...have to try it :))))

Vimitha Durai said... Reply To This Comment

Healthy and nice one Priya. I make this for chapathis / dosas.

Sangeetha M said... Reply To This Comment

vazhaithandu kootu is new to me..i make only poriyal..so healthy n very nice recipe Priya..

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

So healthy and yummy! too bad we don;t get this thandu close to where we live!

Vidhya said... Reply To This Comment

I am a big fan of banana stem and your curry is making me homesick.

Elaichii said... Reply To This Comment

when I went to India recently vazhai thandu was one vegetable i surely wanted to eat! BTW how did you sneak them into france?

shriannalakshmi said... Reply To This Comment

a different recipe.... good too

Sobha Shyam said... Reply To This Comment

lovely recipe dear, havent tried it yet, nice to know abt the banana stem drink too..

Mehjabeen Arif said... Reply To This Comment

Oh.. This is my mom's favorite curry.. She loves it so much, she would eat this all day.. looks healthy :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodplaza/

Jabeen's Corner

Ongoing Event-Iftar nights

Vardhini said... Reply To This Comment

How I miss banana stem .. my favorite. Looks yummy Priya.

Vardhini
Check out my 100th post giveaway

Pushpa said... Reply To This Comment

Welcome back Priya,kootu looks delicious miss this veggie so very much.

Aarthi said... Reply To This Comment

my mums favorite

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said... Reply To This Comment

My fav too!!!! Yummy n healthy!!!

schmetterlingwords said... Reply To This Comment

Vaazhai thandu poriyal is one of my favourites. This kootu with daal is a great delish. Just love this :)